2003 D2 Championship (BARKS) contest - a legal / sanctioned contest?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 07:47:23 AKST 2003

We are not real sure when we are going to start flying off of it. It looks
great now because of the rye grass that was seeded along with the Bermuda.
The exact grass plan was provided by the NC State Ag Agent. Just what
happens this spring when the rye dies (it is an annual) and the Bermuda
sprouts is the question.  There is some fescue in the mix intentionally and
by accident. The straw mulch always brings a lot of miscellaneous plant life
as well.

Since we have two fields, there is not a great need to rush the operation
but the guys putting out all the work need to some results as soon as
possible. The only expense variable between open and closed is the cost of
Potty rental.

It is a great example of how a small number of members carry the bulk of the
burden. Most of us "old guys" have been close to useless on the project.

We are also struggling with a "Guest Policy". While many of us would like to
keep things pretty open, there is a contingent that would like to hold
guests to three visits annually.  We have tried to get the inhospitable few
to allow those of us who want our visiting friends to feel welcome to go
along with a separate guest pass we could buy and use for our company.  So
far, we just bicker over it.

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283