A good day for Model Aviation

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Nov 20 08:20:13 AKST 2003

Good deal Buddy! When you get new members, and their $$$ please fill in
this stinkin potholes in your road.......

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
11/20/2003 10:50 AM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     discussion at nsrca.org
        cc:
        Subject:        A good day for Model Aviation

Thought this might be of interest.
Local business interest's along with local Chamber of Commerce
organizations of Jefferson County Texas sponsored an event last Saturday
to promote our local regional airport and to celebrate 100 Years of Flight
called Flight Fest 2003 the program included Hot air balloons, Food
Booth's, Craft Booth's, Rides for the Kids, War Birds were flown in for
display by the Galveston Chapter of the Confederate Air Force, Houston
Texan's Cheerleaders were there, NASA had an Information Booth and many
other organizations participated along with the local Mid County R/C Club
and Beaumont, TX R/C Club who were asked to plan and execute a model
airplane demonstration event.
Flight Fest 2003 was covered by all local media including three local TV
stations and all local newspapers for several weeks in advance. This event
gave model aviation locally a boost and public exposure never before seen
in this area. Ten thousand people paid the three dollar ticket price which
went to local charities. most all day there were at least a thousand
people lining the flight lines.
Our program included sixty pilots from our area and a few from the Houston
area, Flying was continuous and included all types of airplanes, Pattern,
IMAC Fun Fly, Trainers, a flying Lawnmower, a Flying Witch, a flying Stop
Sign, Scale, including one 54% Patty Wagstaff Extra 300 as well as control
line demos by the Beaumont Club. You name it.
Houston area pilots put on a super 3D program flying 40% IMAC airplanes,
Local Pattern guys flew many Demo flights We had four Trainers with buddy
boxes flying at a time giving Intro flights to those in the audience who
wanted to fly. We could have used four more.
As you would expect there were more questions than our entire group could
answer in a year.
The model airplane program ended up being the focal point for the entire
Flight Fest 2003.
and we have already been asked to do it again next year and have several
request's to put on programs from other local groups.
Prior to this event Model Aviation in this area was a fairly low key
Sport/Hobby, Since Saturday my phone has been ringing off the wall and I
think we can expect a big increase in club membership shortly as well as
some much needed assistance from local Government and Civic organizations
to expand and improve our facilities
Fellows it is amazing what one day and the right exposure can bring.
Thanks to all who participated you have done more than you can imagine to
help the future of Model aviation in our area.
Buddy Brammer
AMA-3889  NSRCA-1810