Bigger Issues

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Wed Nov 19 14:44:48 AKST 2003

>They may have been willing to break away from AMA.  We don't quite
>have the same choices that they did/do.  They don't have a World
>Championships option; we do.  If we want to participate in F#A on a
>World level, AMA is the conduit.

Only for F3A, and in reality AMA has essentially no say in how that
event is run.  In essence what we're really talking about here is
"all the other classes".  If you separate out the Team Selection
process from the rest of AMA pattern I submit that AMA involvement in
the form of an AMA sanction isn't needed.

>I am an NSRCA officer and assume that the other officers understand
>our options as I do.  The first big stumbling block is liability
>insurance for contests.

If NSRCA were to require AMA membership to compete in an
NSRCA-sanctioned (but not AMA-sanctioned) contest the insurance
liability issue would be mitigated.

>The second is participation in F3A World Championships.

Concerning the F3A Team Selection see my comments above.

>We could handle our own rules and contest coordination, probably
>better/faster than the AMA.

And we already do our own rules and contest coordinations, so what
else is there?

>Do we have the resolve and will to do it?  Most pattern pilots
>probably don't care.  Otherwise, they'd flood the contest board and
>AMA HQ with letters and e-mails about the situation.  They haven't
>done it so far.

That's where I'd look to the NSRCA leadership to explore the options
and weigh the risk to benefit ratio of these possibilities.  So far,
I don't see much risk here.

And that $15 sanction fee could go towards contest awards or the club
coffers I suppose.  Think AMA'd miss it?

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com