Worlds e-mail answers....LONG

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Tue Nov 18 06:28:47 AKST 2003

What a monumental effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Wowwwww.....!!!!!!

.

> 08-04-03
>
> Dave Smith- 22x12
> Eric H.- The pilot is allowed to fly anything they want as long as it is
> legal according to the rule book.
> Gary Fowler- Both are yes, win or lose.
> Don Atwood- Thank you
> Bill Glaze- Piloting ability. Yes.
> Ron Van Putte- According to the rule book, YES. I did not do it for business
> reasons. At the time the only airplane I had for JMC was the Exhila (35”ws,
> 18oz., 3D plane). I do now work at Hacker Brushless, but only because living
> off of my good looks wasn’t paying off. And I’m sure I’ll always be
> second-guessed forever. It’s my nature to want to be different, you should
> know. You remember me growing up and what I looked like. I know that played
> a part of my results, most of the pilots told me that, but I was having fun.
> When I decided to get serious, I got a haircut and some normal clothes and
> Walla, my FAI career headed for the sky. And when I went to Ireland with a
> Goatee
I was TERRIFIED, and it all stemmed back to the early years of
> “playing and looking the part”.
> Dave Smith- As you probably know, Chip and I took our planes with us. Sean
> shipped his. Since I didn’t need fuel, I went and practiced a day before
> Chip and Sean. Some of the Europeans were flying 250 and HUGE, but not the
> norm for the contest.
> Matt K.- I hope that we (judges) are choosing the quality of flying, not
> pilots and planes (ends up being that ultimately, but based on flight
> performance). And Team Gold is the first thing I shoot for, not individual
> achievements. I could have flown my AS from the TT, but I sold the back up.
> I had 2 new ones on order, but they didn’t arrive until the week we left,
> not enough time to debug them
IF they were finished. The Rhapsody’s were
> finished weeks before we left, and the systems were all the same ones being
> flown by the likes of the Hacker crew and Gary Wright for over a year
> before. Actually the Team didn’t have to agree on it, but I did seek their
> opinion. Chip loved it (watching and flying it) and Sean and Tony weren’t
> around to comment.
> Mark Atwood- Chip only switched between bipes at the Nats. And the comments
> were only one way
LOL.
> Bob P.- Thank you.
>
> 08-05-03
>
> Lance- No necessary to discuss with other team members, but I did try as I
> personally wanted them to be comfortable with my choice.
> Harry S.- So true. Thank you for your support, and it’s true that we get
> snips in Poland. I had a Team Manager come up to me and tell me that I was
> the talk of the list and I may not want to go back home unless I finish
> well
.Imagine my expression, even though he was joking to a point. Careful
> of sticking your neck out too far and thanks for your support.
> Deanno- Thank you
> Marty P.- Thank you. And the Team is made up of 3 individuals, no matter how
> you look at it. I strive to do my very best, as do Chip and Sean. The Team
> part comes into play when one of us does something that may affect the
> others. That’s why I made an effort to let everyone (Team wise, sorry
> pattern world) what I was doing and if they thought it was as good as I was
> perceiving it to be.
> Wayne- Thank you and so true.
> Jon Uhler- We are selected based on performance, not equipment used. If not,
> is that why Don didn’t make the Team, cause he was flying JR (only
> difference from the top 3)?
> George F.- ROFLMAO
.fun thing this internet is
.
> Martin M.- Don’t hold me to this, but if AMA made the rule, it only applies
> to AMA events, Yes? It was competitively motivated, not business related.
> Gerald Williams- Even though humorous, I thank you for the support, and it’s
> true about the new designs. Wolfgang/Roland already have a Lazuitte done in
> electric and flying it. Right Lance
LOL
> Bill Glaze- Charge it of course
.LOL
> Dave Smith- Thank you
> Jon Uhler- I never use something just cause a sponsor wants me too. It took
> me 6 months to switch from the 9V to the 9Z (flew a Team Trials and Nats
> with the V over the Z). And if the Rhapsody’s were available to me for the
> TT, they would have been there, but they were a couple weeks late.
> Lance- I’d be curious if Tony had something like this before when he was
> team manager (pilots asking approval before hand). Tony?
> Ron Van Putte- Was Tony unhappy or just concerned, there is a big
> difference. I respect Tony, Chip and Sean enough that again, I chose to get
> their opinion.
> Earl Vincent- LOL
Great.
> Bill Harden- Risk
.Without Risk There is NO Reward
or something like
> that
.The only risk I feel I took was flying the Rhapsody’s, not the
> electric power.
> Jim Ivey- As much as I would like to believe that my reputation could with
> stand a blow like causing the US Team not to win the Gold, I don’t feel it
> could. But I thank you for the support.
> Buddy Brammer- Thank you for the support. There is an F5A class, or at least
> there was. While at the Worlds, Sandy Pimenoff and the FAI crew were all
> discussing canceling F5A because of what I did in F3A with electric. So goes
> my chance at an F5A World title
LOL
> Mike Mueller- I believe that the only ones who care about the US Pattern
> Team winning the Team Gold are US Pattern Fliers (and maybe a few future
> pattern pilots). But for me its about doing my part in winning a gold medal
> for the Team. I personally feel that making any rules because of my actions
> here will hurt pattern progress in the future. Just because the “US Pattern
> World” didn’t see what I was doing to approve it for me, doesn’t mean that I
> was jeopardizing the US Team in any way.
> Gary Wright- Close enough
LOL
> Bill Harden- Up until the week before we left for Poland, the Rhapsody’s
> were my only choice in equipment. And if I had to get the 2 new AS’s ready,
> there was a fear of making weight (in such short period of time). One thing
> that I was planning on was the Judges reaction to the electric. Working with
> Sean Plummer (Hacker Brushless USA) on this project, he was 99% sure that it
> was going to be nothing but favorable. The most stunning thing to me was to
> have some of the judges come up to me after they saw me fly it was “ I’m
> glad to see that it is possible to fly F3A with electric”, and “Thank you
> for showing us that it can be done”. Imagine my thoughts after hearing
> this
.to say the least, I was floored. I knew (unfortunately) that the World
> was watching. That put me in a very uncomfortable position. I try not to be
> the “star”, I prefer to be the lurker that just “happens” to be there in the
> end. And I’m glad that I can perform under stress
.or at least for 9 out of
.
> Peter Pennisi- I don’t believe it should be discussed, but I personally
> wanted to. And what if I lived in Montana, away from the others, then it’s
> only phone/e-mail conversations about my choice. I’m just glad that we could
> all communicate with one another. It was a first for me.
> Bill Cripe- Thank you
>
> 08-06-03
>
> Marty P.- If only the first and last parts were true. But Chips comeback
> sure is.
> George F.- Thank you
> Martin M.- Thank you oh so much

> James Woodward- I am actually a bit shocked at the comments about Joe’s
> plane. Whose business is it to determine what one can and cannot fly
> (outside of the rules)? I’m glad he is HAVING FUN flying pattern. Sure his
> plane isn’t the state-of-the-art 2M plane, but so what. The man is having
> fun and I hope I can continue to do the same, regardless of the plane I fly.
> Besides, remember all the complaining about flying P-05 around here next
> year
.I’m pretty sure Joe would join us.
> Eric H.- I am going to insert my comments following your statements:
>         My own opinion is as follows (And mine will follow like this):- I would
> have liked to have seen Jason's plane at the Nationals so that I could make
> an informed opinion. (Nothing personal, but your opinion is yours, glad you
> have one, but the only opinions I would/did seek were that of the directly
> involved, actual team members)   Chip took his chances and flew his
> Bi-planes at the team trials and the Nat's. ( He has drive and determination
> like no other, and also had planes and help before each contest)   We got to
> see the capabilities of the plane, (Not just the pilot). ( Have you flown
> the DV to see it’s capabilities, or Chips piloting abilities?)   He also
> debugged a loose stab and some YS crankshaft prototype counter-weights. (And
> a few others in prototype products)   Jason's electric is a huge unknown in
> a competitive situation. (Sure, but nothing I used was a prototype anything,
> it was all available parts that have been around for some time. And what’s
> the difference in a competition situation verses a practice situation? Was
> the fact that Chips YS flooded during the contest and not at practice one of
> those situations?)   As a person who has contributed energy, written effort
> and personal finance to the support of our team, I am much more comfortable
> with Chips approach. How I see this has nothing to do with rules and rights
> but much more the issue of obligations to those who ran team trials, raised
> funds, and sat in the judges chairs.  (And how do you think I felt being the
> ONLY electric at the Worlds and having a crowd, sometimes larger than CPLR’s
> crowd watching
WITHOUT words cause they would stand out like a sore thumb!
> Check out Quiet Flyer (Nov-2003 issue) and I describe my first flight.)
> Jon Uhler- Like above, I too have an opinion. My opinion is that my use of
> electrics WAS in question, not how I flew the planes. Electrics are no more
> up and coming, they have been here
.just in quiet (not intending the pun). I
> was even flying planes that could hover and rocket out 2 years ago, and with
> Li-Poly’s, it just got that much better. My poor showing came in Round 1 in
> the finals. And because of that one round, I ended up 7th. It would have
> been the same with the AS or any other “normal IC pattern plane”. And as far
> as addressing anything in the future TT
.there’s no need to.
> Martin M.- How many more times can I thank you
.thank you, thank
> you
.etc

.
.
> Jerry Stebbins- THANK YOU!!!
> John Ferrell- True, and on this one I’ll keep my opinions to myself.
> Buddy Brammer- I’ll answer them: Nothing. For me, 3 times, but who
> remembers
right. I only had 1 that was actually at the following Worlds.
> Only 1st Worlds did I use the same. Only Futaba!!!
> Ron Van Putte- The plan was to try the electric (and for me hoped it worked,
> I really wanted it to) and see. I bought 2 new AS’s which didn’t arrive in
> time. All this WAS BEFORE the Team Trials. But late deliveries caused it to
> run afterwards, oh well. All the equipment used had plenty of time on it,
> except for the mini-Futaba digitals, they were only out for about 4 months.
> And 12 Volts is still 12 Volts over there. As you said, the “infamous BIB”
> saga
that’s part of my reputation now. But I’m not sure how

> George F.- Thank you and I hope that it does spark an interest for some to
> come back or just start flying pattern.
>         Part 2 George F.- LOL
and Thank you
> Mike McC- Thank you
> Tony “The Man” Stillman- Thank you for all of you support and concern
.makes
> me feel wanted
LOL!!! I’m just glad I flew my 1/3 of a part for OUR Gold.
> Earl Vincent- Stop telling them you remember me as a kid
.I’m almost 30
> now
LOL. Thank you for the support. Everyone was surprised, and even a
.
> William Harden- I understand everyone’s concern of the unknown, but it was
> only going to go if it was capable of the best. It was close enough and with
> some hard work, I made it though it all.
> Bob P.- Pretty neat huh?
>
> 08-08-03
>
> Brian Young/Mike McC- I set it up like a glow motor. Had a idle cut and set
> the idle at about 500rpm (ok so it’s slower than glow, but I didn’t stop
> it). Stall turns and spin entries would have been nearly impossible with a
> stopped prop, plus downlines are too fast stopped.
> Anthony Abdullah- Thank you
LOL

# discussion-request at nsrca.org