JR NES 4000 servo

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Sun Nov 16 16:42:00 AKST 2003

>JonLowe at aol.com wrote:
>
>>I ended up with an airplane that has two JR NES 4000 servos in it.
>>The only info I can find on them on line calls them "Super Servos".
>>One site indicated they may be an early form of digital servos.
>>Anyone know more about these?
>
>I tried a few, and found them to be very very electricity hungry
>without any advantage over digitals, so I gave them back and went
>with digitals.  I think they were the intermediate between coreless
>and digital for JR, and quickly shelved in place of the digitals
>which were superior all around.

Actually they are digitals (the original JR Super Servos) but with an
internal closed-loop update rate of ~2200 hz, which is why they
tended to be somewhat power hungry (although in my experience only
slightly more so than 8417's).  Performance wise the 4000's were (and
still are) a very good, if not great servo (I have several of them).

Being that they are used I would check the centering on them to see
if the pots need replacing.  Most people use servos well beyond the
"service life" of the pots (and sometimes the gears too) and then
wonder why their airplane isn't as "tight" as it used to be.  You can
replace the pots yourself or send them to Horizon or Radio South for
service.  If the pots check out OK then have at it but keep an eye on
your battery voltage until you get a feel for how much you juice are
pulling out of the battery pack each flight.

Good luck and have fun!

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd