Rules changes - NSRCA role.

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Sun Nov 16 07:29:14 AKST 2003

>Keith,
>        When a Rules/maneuver proposal is submitted you are required
>to state the logic for the proposal. This time around we split the
>writing work between Tom Weedon and myself. Any proposals with our
>names on were stated as voted for by the NSRCA membership. The
>proposal has to actually come from an AMA member and be co-signed by
>two other members in good standing.
>

>There are BIG problems that comes into play once any NSRCA proposal
>has been submitted to the AMA contest board.
>
>1. Lobbying of the AMA contest board by those folks who are against
>the proposals. You would think that NSRCA members would respect the
>vote of their society. This is not the case and even though I agree
>that we have the right to lobby our contest board with what we feel
>is right, it is does get very illogical when one member can
>privately lobby and destroy a proposal voted for by the NSRCA. I
>even saw an NSRCA member who voted for a proposal subsequently go
>the other way and lobby the whole AMA contest board!

Eric, how do you know how a particular member voted?  Did that member
personally tell you how they voted?  I assume the survey ballots are
handled so that the member info is kept separate from how that member
voted.  If not there is a BIG problem here.

>2. AMA RC contest board members represent AMA members and often feel
>that not all AMA members are represented in the proposals. Said
>another way Non-NSRCA members are not represented. Charlie Reed, a
>very conscientious AMA board member, went so far as to do his own
>poll of his AMA district to see how they felt. The weakness of what
>he did was that he only contacted who he knew flew pattern.
>
>3. The AMA contest board can make or insist on changes or
>compromises that the NSRCA membership never get a chance to vote on.
>Three years of democratically produced and supported work can go
>down the tubes at the hands of one man.

Only if the board is controlled by one individual.  Knowing some of
the personalities on the board I would think that unlikely (picture
herding cats).

>One problem that I also see is that this time the AMA contest board
>Chairman, John Fuqua, submitted his own proposals for rules change.
>None of which were NSRCA proposals.
>
>Go figure how the board vote can be fair if the proposal is from the chair?

It seems to me that the problem is one of control.  The AMA has it,
NSRCA wants it.

Consider this.  Should the Contest Board function as the Supreme
Court does where they can only determine what issues they will
consider and make determinations on?  Or should the Contest Board
members also retain the ability to take forth proposals as any other
AMA member can?

Currently it's the latter.  Sounds like some within NSRCA want the former.

As I said before, it boils down to a control issue.

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com