YS 140 DZ life time

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sat Nov 15 15:15:57 AKST 2003

Top power just like with any other ringed motor will be at about 200
flights....Once you get over 200 it will loose a little and maintain for
about another 200-300...The difference is about 200-300 rpm tops....So you
can get consistent and good power out of the motor for about 300-400 flights
easy.....After that I have found that the ring is all that needs replaced.

If you want that back to the tip top performance you can stick a new ring in
it now...about $20....

This is about the same life as I found with the YS-140FZ's, 140L's and even
when I ran the OS 140EFI....

Best power was when things were less than 200 flights....Most people don't
realize the power loss at the 200 flight mark because they have so much
extra....But I keep really good tabs on what RPM my motors are
running....Last year I had a couple motors each with over 500 flights on
them and when I changed the ring, piston and sleeves the power was back to
amazing....

The difference is really the difference between the restrictor and not.....

So to answer you question a new ring could be in the near future on the
motor with about 160 flights...and you are about 1/2 way there on the other
motor.....They will last long past still making excellent power...but will
taper off slowly. This is common on all the ringed motors....

Now one thing the DZ has going for it...the new piston doesn't get out of
round as easy as the early relieved and dished pistons on the 120SC, 140FZ,
and 140L's

So the piston is much more robust on the DZ....By the way this new piston is
also in the 140 FZ2 (USA-Its the FZ Sport)...This new piston will also fit
in any of the 140's.....

Plus the DZ is not the high compression and super charged setup that the
140L is and its better on all the other parts like cam gears and the
pistons, rings and so on.....

This has been my experience I have 3 motors and been running 2 of them since
May 2001.....I have about 800flights on one motor, 600 on another and about
200 on a newer one from this year.

The two older motors have gotten cam gears, bearings, new o-rings, gaskets,
and pistons, and sleeves as well as the new rings. But these have mega time
on them and have been excellent running motors....

Another place to look for power loss is in your header and pipe. I thought I
had a weak motor this past spring...When I changed pipes from a 5-6 year old
Hatori I gained about 400 rpms.

Troy Newman

>From: Mr LUMIA <MARC.LUMIA at wanadoo.fr>
>To: "'discussion at nsrca.org'" <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: YS 140 DZ life time
>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:51:52 +0100
>
>	I currently use two YS 140 DZ coming from Central Hobbies, no problem ,
>			very nice engines, running with Cool Power fuel 30% nitro, APC 16*12 at
>			8600 RPM for FAI F3A pattern.
>First is 160 flights old, second 90 flights.
>Now the first one seems to loose little power after one year of use.
>
>What do you know about the life time of this engine ?
>Which spare parts have to be changed after which number of flights ?
>
>Marc Lumia
>
>France

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org