Judging Landing & takoffs. (was Re: Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????)

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 04:26:06 AKST 2003

Ladies and Gentlemen

Our game requires competitors and judges. The competitors apply the
requirements of the game (maneuvers - rules) and the judges score the quality of
performance. Without both, there is no game. Some are better than others, both as
competitors and judges. We generally don't demean the less skilled flyer but try
to help him / her improve. A judge should receive the same.

I recall (us old guys get to do this) a time when judges and the
interpretation of the rules were unique to each contest. A CD would fill chairs anyway
possible with both skilled and unskilled judges. This was true even at the Nats,
soliciting the spectators at the last minute for anyone willing to take a stab
at judging. Often scores were higher for familiar pilots, as they had "paid
their dues."

A few dedicated and skilled folks set about to fix that. The USPJA was formed
and provided a pool of folks from which to draw for major meets. The pilots
enjoyed meets where the judges were experienced and "usually" there were plenty
of judges. While there were judges meetings to review the rules at major
meets, the interpretation sometimes varied and the pilots could be unaware of
expectations. Of course both used the same rulebook, but we all know how
interpretation can vary. We criticized the folks that were willing to of take their
time to judge our game until they were / are no more. We would have been better
served to help them.

The NSRCA Judge Certification program came into being. It was, and still is,
the best thing ever done to improve pattern competition. (With the possible
exception of the equal exposure to judges rule.) Of course a pilot would be
foolish to compete without knowing the rules and is therefore an excellent
candidate for judging. For a while we enjoyed a good mix of both flying and
non-flying judges. Then the latter began to diminish, could it be that they simply got
tired of working for the pattern competitor and getting griped at in return?

So we're now using pilot / judges for the most part. Guess what, we're still
griping about scores and working harder! I've judged numerous meets over the
years and within the various systems. I've not known one judge who I regarded
as dishonest. Some are more skilled than others, some are more informed of the
rules, and some didn't have clue. It really doesn't matter if they fly or not.
Fortunately the cert program has minimized the clueless.

No individual, no matter their experience, falls into the hallowed few
category. Just what is the correct score for a given maneuver? I may observe
downgrades that someone else doesn't and vice versa. It's interesting to line up a
group of judges and score a maneuver (not a whole flight) and then discuss the
individual scores and why. This exercise demonstrates why there needs to be as
many judges on a line as possible.

We have a tendency to assign our view of a persons judging capability to the
class they fly. Why is this? Is the FAI or Masters pilot smarter or better
educated or more familiar with the rules than the Intermediate or Advanced pilot?
I don't think so! Neither is the non-flying judge less qualified because they
don't fly. The class a person flies only demonstrates their skill level as a
pilot. I suspect there are folks who would excel at judging and might like to
give it a shot if ask.

This is getting too long, but I will state that I have worked with a good
number of different pilot / judges at the Nats and elsewhere and find them, while
not always enthused about having to judge, dedicated and competent in
performing the job. (The only exception I may find in this is when I review my own
flight scores :>)). Judging will always be a work in progress and let me assure
you that it's significantly better than it once was. We all must work within
the rules to ensure consistent interpretation and accept that we will not
always agree.

Earl