Glow plug failures

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 12:41:49 AKST 2003

In a message dated 11/12/2003 1:15:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tony at radiosouthrc.com writes:
Wayne:

I seem to be hearing a lot about bearing problems with Magnum Fuel.  It is
not very prevalent here in the Southeast, but I would sure like to hear from
you guys that use it.  I can't believe that it would be that hard on
bearings...

Tony Stillman
Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32505
1-800-962-7802
There is a lot of Magnum fuel used on the West Coast with no noticeable
difference in bearing life.  Most of the people using the OS140 engines have
switched to stainless bearings and don't worry about bearing failure after 30-60
flights anymore.  The stock bearing failures were occurring regardless of fuel
type.  The stock bearing appears to be very susceptible to corrosion even if you
run the engine dry after flying or not, whether you use after run or not.
Stainless bearings made that problem go away and the life of the bearings is
typically in excess of 100 flights with most going over 200. I get my stainless
bearings for the OS from Jerry Budd at Budd Engineering (aka Rusty Freid  ;-).

YS 4C don't seem to wear out the rear bearings as quickly and we have people
out here with over 500 flights on YS engines/bearings with no noticeable wear
problems using Magnum.  Having said all that, doesn't seem to be a problem out
here.  Lot of Magnum shipped to the Chicago area, and the Northeast (can't
remember exactly where).

Guys, hope this doesn't launch a tirade of 'this fuel is better, that fuel is
better'.  Fuel usage is like discussing politics.  I run Magnum because I
have had very good luck with it, have run it since it was introduced in Denver
when I lived there.  There are several good fuels out there, I selected Magnum.

Don Atwood