Landings-THE ANSWER

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 08:53:47 AKST 2003

In theory I completely agree with your point Earl about rewarding pilots for hitting center for max points. In fact at my first pattern contest I thought this was the rule. After a rather hard landing due to forcing the plane down to hit the center line I was informed that there was a 30m box and I didn't have to hit center. One of the reasons given for this rule was so pilots didn't have to do what I did to get max points and potentially damage their planes. I don't know if this was really the reason for the 30m zone or not, but it makes sense.

Intuitively one could say that if the pilot forces the landing and damages their plane just for extra points then it's their own stupidity, but if you've ever watched the glider guys that have to hit the center of a circle you know that there are a lot of hard landings even from the top pilots. In addition to this negative if you score based on centering then you'll need to define how many points to remove per inch/foot/meter which means to do it correctly you'll either have to draw all of the lines/circles, or have a spotter go measure the distance from a center "X". Most of the contests I went to this year didn't even have the 30 m lines, I can't imagine them putting down circles if they can't put down lines, and taking a measurement after every landing would never work.

BTW, I like the scored landings, they're challenging and I think they've improved my flying which is why I got into pattern in the first place. As to it taking too long to setup for landing, I've not observed at the contest I've attended. And as for the takeoff taking longer, FAI still has to ask judges ready to takeoff, only difference is the sitting idle rule and I don't normally see that eat much time. If however we want to speed things up we could get rid of the idle rule (which really does nothing other than increase the odds of a flame out). If we did this then I don't see how takeoffs are any slower than FAI.

Keith