Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

davel322 at comcast.net davel322 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 12:44:14 AKST 2003

If the slip is being used to reduce airspeed -
- Rudder is applied to increase drag (more fuse area is presented) and this will yaw the airplane off track (runway heading would be desired track).
- Aileron is then used to establish the bank angle needed to maintain track with the runway.  Aileron is also used to counter the rolling effects of the rudder (which varies based on plane, airspeed, etc).

Cross-controlling does create drag - but the majority of the drag is from presenting more fuse side area.

Having practiced slips quite a bit, I much prefer to carry extra speed on landing approach, and then bleed off speed in a slip to hit centerline - this reduces the possibility of landing short due to variable winds or deadsticks.  With airspeed, a slip is an option, without airspeed, the options become much more limited........

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

# discussion-request at nsrca.org