Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

dwbrown285 at netscape.net dwbrown285 at netscape.net
Mon Nov 10 15:49:22 AKST 2003

I can remember quite a few people doing this in the early nineties, reflexing the ailerons up to slow landing speed. One in particular that I remember was Larsen Anderson, a former Masters Class National Champion. He could consistantly drag in his Jekyll(?) very nose high doing this with lots of throttle management to control the descent. I never tried it though.

In the late eighties I did have a Super Curare that had seperate flaps and spoilers. That was very interesting! The flaps were small, about 2" x 4" and the spoilers were only about 1/2" x 4" and located a couple of inches in front of the flaps. It worked really well at slowing things down when you could pull it all together as far as coordinating it all. I did tend to get into trouble alot with that setup during HOT approaches and moments of indecision!!

David Brown
Huntsville, AL

"Del Rykert" <drykert at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Larry.
    Some of us fo choose to reflex our ailerons up on landing to add more drag. Almost always have to mix in some elevator for this condition. It helps allow a steeper decent without a big increase in speed. A spoiler is a different animal as far as coming up in the top of the wing to spoil lift over that area of the wing. I remember someone once adding a split rudder that opened at trailing edge to create drag. I never witnessed how well it worked.
    The truth to remember is the key to slowing down your approach speed is to raise the nose while on your downwind to slow a clean pattern ship down. Then let it settle at its trimmed sink rate using your idle of your engine to control your decent path.
    Hope this helps.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473