Spoilers for Pattern Planes?????

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Nov 10 15:48:25 AKST 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 4:16 PM, Henderson,Eric wrote:

>  	Spoilers are usually fitted to the high point of a glider wing. In
> this case we are talking about raising the trailing edge by using both
> ailerons and calling them spoilers. Some pilots swear by dropping both
> the ailerons as flaps.
>
> The wing behaves differently at different speeds. Raising the ailerons
> at half throttle will actually cause the plane to climb. Raising the
> ailerons at slow speeds has the effect of causing the wing to lose
> some lift and you have to add up elevator to stay level.
>
> The latter case is what you want because the more the plane presents a
> high drag, nose-up, profile the more it will slow down. With both the
> ailerons "up" you also get the advantage of some major washout which
> allows you to fly slower without tip-stalling.
>
> I use the spoiler on my "Land" switch to allow me to do slower landing
> approaches when there is no headwind. It is hard to slow a pattern
> plane down. Dropping both ailerons allows you to dive steeper without
> gaining unwanted speed. Raising both ailerons allows you to slow down
> more on approach without paying the price.
>
> Neither function like airbrakes :-)
>
> P.S. On a pattern plane they are great. On My Extra's and CAP 232's
> they were bad!

Not bad for a non-aerodynamicist!

Eric and I have been known to disagree on occasion, but he's spot on
regarding this topic.

I also use spoilers on Pattern airplanes and actuate them with the
retract switch, whether the airplane has retracts or not.

Ron Van Putte
BS, MS, A&AE aeronautical/astronautical engineering

# discussion-request at nsrca.org