Mintor 1.7 - low cost engines

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Nov 6 05:29:22 AKST 2003

Probably the biggest difference between the Mintor 1.7 and the other two
strokes is not the top end rpm, but the time it takes to go from 2000-8200
rpm on a big prop such as the APC 17X12 regular.  The acceleration  and
burst of power is phenomenal, and something the flyer must get used to if
you have been flying an OS or Webra.  While I have never owned a YS, I do
believe this is what YS owners swear by as "torque".  With the Mintor 1.7,
an 11lb pattern plane can go from dead stop in the vertical to outta site,
continuously accelerating.  I have actually been told that I fly too fast
up and too slow down....something I am trying to adjust.  The cost of the
1.7 while not the lowest cost option but  is much lower than the YS DZ
which it competes with.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering