F3A - snap roll query

george kennie geobet at gis.net
Wed Nov 5 17:37:22 AKST 2003

<<<<OK.  I'll try to learn how to do it that way.  :o(>>>>

Good luck Marty!
The definition in the maneuver description and the animation in the AMA video represent the
theoretical ideal. In my experience, I have never seen a pattern model that will do any kind of a
snap without the C.G.deviating from the flight line track, bar none!!! Further, I'm convinced, it
can't be done. When the nose breaks from the track line, the wing is not totally stalled, therefore
producing some lift, the amount affected by the speed of the aircraft. This generated lift will
displace the aircraft in a positive or negative direction away from the line of flight(track).
There are some guys,(I'm not one of them) that have the ability to execute the snap in such a way
that the C.G. returns to the flight path at the point of completion of the maneuver and, to my eye,
this presents more smoothly than a craft that assumes a higher or lower flight path at
completion.It presents a better "controlled" impression.
In my mind, I feel compelled to award a difference in point score in defference to "smoothness and
grace".
At the Nats, I asserted my opinion on the concern I felt regarding this to an upper class flyer who
vehemently disagreed with my position to which I replied that I didn't feel that he would score
well because of his stand on the issue.
I was greatly encouraged to discover, at a subsequent contest, that he had rectified the condition.
I'd give anything to know what he did to correct the problem.
   All this being said, I feel much like you, that I've been wrong before.............and I really
don't mind the flak.
Georgie

# discussion-request at nsrca.org