F3A - snap roll query

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 15:31:31 AKST 2003

Marty,
Do you mean "one wing panel" is stalled? Most of us are flying planes with
"one wing".

I agree with the "one wing panel is stalled" concept and in fact, you may
recall that Earl talked about this same thing about 3 months ago in these
pages.That has to occur for a snap roll to occur. If correct amount of elevator is
added a split second before the other commands, the snap is far easier and
cleaner to perfrom. The wing panel with the "up" aileron, stalls far quicker,
making for a cleaner, easier to control snap. The trick is in the amount and speed
of elevator input. The fastest possible input would stall the wing far
quicker, even for small elevator volume. The nose will pitch, but as Don sez, the cg
should not. BTW the Judging tape shows the nose pitch before the roll, quite
clearly

It sounds that some of the responders think that elevator isn't needed. Well,
just try to make a snap roll with aileron and rudder only. Nat Penton's
XPRESS 3D may be about the only plane that has that capability.

Matt K