F3A - snap roll query

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Wed Nov 5 14:12:29 AKST 2003

Dear Snap Confused in Dallas,

To set the mood, please sit down in your favorite leather covered reclining
chair (on the patio), with a big glass of sweat tee or beer.  On the
Advanced 45 down snap (advanced or masters), I have problems entering it to
slow!  During the finals, this year, I zeroed down line 1.5 snap and I
thought it was perfect.  I entered it a little slow and although I did the
same finger movements I always do, it just came out like a fast aileron roll
(Tony S., correct me if I'm wrong).  To correct it, I carried a little more
speed and made SURE I added elevator first, them crammed the rudder and
aileron in the corners.  Next sequences had high snap marks.  A little more
speed helped.  I did not change my rates, or hit another switch or something
weird, just carried more speed.

Technique:  Add elevator as fast as you can to full deflection.  As soon as
the stick hits full deflection, swipe it over to the side (swiping rudder at
same time).  Practice stick movements while plane is on ground. Crude,
simple.

I don't use snap switch.  I use the sticks because I lead with elevator and
end holding rudder ½ second longer than the elevator and aileron (same
direction for 1.5 revolutions, opposite direction for 1 revolution).

I suggest golf as an outlet to pattern flying because you can play and drink
at same time.

Jim W :-)