Summer Aero Academy

Wade Akle wbakle at charter.net
Sat Nov 1 03:58:56 AKST 2003

I have been following Ron's thread about going to schools for demos. Here is our story (SLO Flyers). It is extremey successful and may give you some ideas on how to reach out.

For the last 4 years our club put in a 2 one-week classes, we call the Flight Summer Academy, at Cal Poly Institute at San Luis Obispo for 8-14 year olds. We average 15 youngsters per class.

This activity costs about $250/each. The kids pay $100. The rest is sponsored by SLO Flyers, Cal Poly, Industry grants (Northrop and Boeing) and also AMA grants.

The kids are very motivated and learn building skills, basic aero/structural concepts, mass/stability of models to optimize flight times, fly control line every morning, and projects they take home, culminating with Saturday at our field flying RC, and a day at SBP airport getting a flight over their own town given by the Experimental Pilots Association.

Several have become proficient pilots, though intermitently. Some others we see afterwards from time to time, but they are so busy with school, sports and growing up that they hardly have time to continue in the hobby. Maybe later.

We intend to continue this activity until/if the kids stop showing up.

Wade