Speaking of power

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Fri May 30 06:05:10 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 5/30/03 6:39:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gfowler at raytheon.com writes:

> Good for FAI being 94 dB, but 96 is plenty low. While I was Pres of my club
> we passed a noise ordinance rule, measured the same way pattern planes
> are.....limit is???? 103 dB!! And this was not politically easy, but at least it
> now stops the monster screamers and now when someone has a loud plane EVERYONE
> questions is it and we measure.
> 94 dB is too low considering that an ARF trainer with a bb .46  is 95-96 dB.
> Getting a club noise rule in place is good, but for us a bit late. The
> gassers already pissed off two neighbors and now the 94-97 dB plane is a nusiance
> to them even though those planes had been flying near their houses for 5
> years without any complaints. I suggest that all clubs get something in place
> BEFORE the problem starts. We were proactive and had the rule voted on but not
> active when the first major complaint happened. Now it is an on going battle.
> And like someone else mentioned...the loud plane disappeared...not come back
> with a "real muffler"....just gone and that is fine with the entire
> Richardson club. By the way...we also banned props over 22" as they were a huge noise
> culprit.
>

> Gray Fowler
> Principal Chemical Engineer
> Composites Engineering

I'll "chime" in here.  Everyone who thinks they don't have a noise issue
should read this and pass it on the their club officers, because the reality is
that once you get noticed you can't be quiet enough.  This noise thing will be
much easier if we are proactive.  I know this is not popular, but it is
reality.

Bob Whitacre