JR "Unplugged"

don szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Wed May 28 20:02:30 AKDT 2003

F03 number 10.  I must have read your mind, its exactly as I've been practicing..

OK, I still have not picked up the manual so here it goes.  Thanks for having me check this as I now know more about the radio as a result!

Here is the 3 step process:  First, select code 51 and go Gear(5)---->flap(6). Second, enter the % you want them to go up into- 50% Pos 1, for example.  Finally, hit "page" and select "E-F".  Done.  Just leave your gear switch forward and the "flap" switch will turn on and off your airbrake.

Now, if still curious, you can do so much more as well. recall the "flap" switch is a 3 way switch.  You have the option of having it kicking in any of the 3 positions of the switch, or different airbrake rates for each switch position- You can tie to any of the following: E-F is kicks in the center and top position,  MD activates in the top and bottom (which is interesting if you want to set it up that way).  LD is again the same switch but it kicks in the center and bottom position.  You can play around with the rates for each of these if you want.  I figured how to do 4 positions with combinations of the gear switch and "flap" switch.  Have fun.

BTW, I found a real simple trick to get around the airbrake need all together.  I learned this from the famous champion and one of my mentors, Von. If you are coming in hot, just add a little rudder and hold it.  Suprised how much airspeed it bleeds off. For more advanced braking, or, in significant crosswind, do this drill.  Tilt the wing into the wind and then push the rudder stick opposite.  You learn this quickly and as soon as you tilt the wing the correct direction as long as you just push opposite rudder you never get the rudder in the wrong direction  I once was at about 60 feet high at the runway threshold and used this technique and dropped it on the runway center without overshooting.  Hint FAI pilots, this also works for inverted rolling circles- push the rudder in the direction the plane is flying.  Troy, this will help in the one roller from inverted you will be doing for sure two weeks from Saturday (grin).  Before I diverge too much...

You can select MX if you want it on the "mix" switch (back right), AU is the front right Aux 2 switch, GR is having it activated with the gear switch, SNP is having it activated on the snap roll button (another interesting thing) and STK is throttle.  You taught me something that is really neat.  Using the STK function, it kicks in at any point on the throttle curve (full mix) rather than it coming in a little at a time like in the offset from the first screen if mixing the throttle as master.

Maybe if there is interest, I'll do a short "10 step" procedure on setting up a pattern plane with the 10X.

Don