JR "Unplugged"

don szczur dszczur at maranatha.net
Tue May 27 19:35:23 AKDT 2003

Georgie,

I'm really sorry you are having difficulty with programming, I'll be happy to show you next time we see each other.   Never having done airbrake before (if you mean both ailerons up like when landing), I just turned it on and programmed it with the following:

With the airbrake coming on at low throttle like when landing, here are the following steps (assuming you have wing type set to flaperon):
Pick a mix (I used 51)  select throttle ---> flap.  Go to "ORIG". then page back and hit the offset (I normally give it two clicks of throttle) then enter the percent mix (that you want the ailerons to go up).  Ooops, wrong direction ailerons are going down, just hit the "turn" button.  Done!  Want to turn it on/off with any switch? Just hit the page button and select one.  BTW,  "ORIG" is used so that if you have to make trim changes to throttle, it won't effect the mix, just takes the raw stick movement.  Norm, is normal stick and trim and INCL adds in everything you have tied to it (like mixes).

Don't want associated airbrakes with throttle stick position? Then just do the same 51, and mix gear to flaps (or any free channel to flap), and you're there.  Bump up the % to where you want it. Done.  In fact you can assign this to most any (gear, aux 2, aux 3, aux 4, aux 5) switch/lever by assigning therefore, and then going to your favorite code 17, disactivating the (master mix channel).

Switch assignment- mixes can be assigned to any of your switch/lever of choice (E-F, MD, LD, MX, AU, GR, SNP, and stick position).

Its harder to describe than to just dive in and program with the touch screen.

The 5 flight modes that are available can be used for different setups (if you want to experiment trying different combinations during a flight for example)  Its an incredibly potent radio. BTW, To get the extra two rates, go to your favorite function 17 and select "extra" and you'll see FM3 and FM4 appear in your Dual Rate/Expo (Code 13).

I've set up 5 flight modes before. For example on my TOC plane I have normal flying (F0), 4 roll circles (F1), One roll circles (F2), 3D/ Freestyle (F3), and alternate 3D/ Freestyle (F4).  Note for the back right switch, it gives you F0, F3 and F4, so you can always go back you your baseline F0 with just one switch movement.  Transmitter beeps if you turn it on and switch rate position is other than F0..  Useful if you don't want to take off in 3D mode.

I will say, however, its up to personal preferences.  For example, on my pattern plane, I prefer just one switch (the aileron D/R) for changing all (Ail, elev, rudder) rates from low to high.  I make the centers the same (double expo on high) so I can switch rates during a maneuver, in fact even during a (loose) loop radius, and it will have the same feel and not "jerk" when I change rates.  If I could get by with just one rate and no switches at all, I would.  Chip does. Some pattern plane designs are already there.

BTW, still have the double moose can muffler (as a spare)that I made from your great idea in case the multi $$ ES pipe fails.

Don