3M / OS header O-ring size

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri May 23 21:10:47 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 5/24/2003 12:39:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
davidflynt at earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:RE: 3M / OS header O-ring size
> Date:5/24/2003 12:39:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidflynt at earthlink.net">davidflynt at earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Jim,
>
> Take the piece or the o-rings down to your auto parts store, and ask to see
> their o ring collection.  Find the one that fits.  If it is a decent parts
> store, they will have dozens of sizes.  I shop at Napa for these.
>
> David

Jimbo, David,

Just a word of caution. The auto or hardware store variety is probably made
of Neoprene or something similar. This type of rubber is okay to get you out of
bind temporarily, for a flight or maybe two, but no good long term. Teltale
signs of the wrong rubber type are quick wear, flat spots, hardens quickly and
cracks.

You should try to get fluoroelastomer o-rings, like Viton, or silicone
rubber. McMaster Carr will most likely have what you need, but you'll ned to measure
the ring. The local ACE, as Dave suggests, would be able to get the
measurement for you, if you don't have access to a mic or caliper

good luck

matt

Good luck