Runaround

Jeff Hughes jhughes at hsonline.net
Fri May 23 09:20:49 AKDT 2003

I built another Hanson Runaround last winter for a beater pattern
plane. It weighs 6 3/4 lbs with a saito 100, has about 780 sq inches
(its the 825 sq in wing, turned into a double taper with an inch off
each tip. I was looking for something easy to maintain and assemble at
the field (I glued the chin cowel on). My first pattern plane was a
runaround and now that i'm flying intermediate and starting to
practice advance I can better appreciate how well this plane flies. no
mix either knife edge, pulls to the canopy slightly in down lines,
needs some right thrust in up lines.  I could compete with this plane
as well as my current 2M. This plane gets overlooked when people
recommend beginner planes, but it'll fly well for about any level
competitor plus the instructions are good enough for a beginner to get
into "typical" pattern construction.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org