micro-balloons etc

patterndude at attbi.com patterndude at attbi.com
Sun May 18 19:45:12 AKDT 2003

Verne is probably right.  Microballoons will make the epoxy lighter and more
sandable, but when mixed enough to make a paste, weaker.  Before you get too
worried, the weakness is relative.  if the epoxy is 10x stronger than you
need, than an little weakness is a good tradeoff for lightness and sandability.

If it's strength you need, then use cabosil.  It is not easy to sand because
it is precipitated silica (rocks), it is not lighter.  It's good property is
to increast the thixotropic index (turn it into a less runny liquid) with
minimal damage to the strength.  Not a good idea for fillets, in my opinion.

--Lance

# discussion-request at nsrca.org