F3A Biplanes have a future!

PENNISI Peter Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au
Sun May 18 18:34:41 AKDT 2003

Hi All

-----Original Message-----
From: PENNISI Peter [mailto:Peter.Pennisi at publicworks.qld.gov.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 May 2003 12:17 PM
To: 'discussion at nsrca.org'
Subject: F3A Biplanes have a future!

Hi all,

I had to opportunity to watch a F3A biplane fly for a short while in the
hands of a very capable pilot last weekend. The model was built by a local
kit manufacturer who adapted a set of wings to Carrera 2000 (Designed by
Peter Goldsmith)as an experiment.

The model was flown briefly through the P03 schedule until an unfortunate
problem resulted in the model having to land minus wings on one side of the
fuse (More on that later) Anyway the flight looked very impressive
especially in the broader speed envelope the model was capable of flying in.
The model was powered with a YS140DZ and weighed about 10.5pounds.

The very experienced F3A pilot commented how impressed he was with the model
and felt it was already better than his current monoplane. Particular
comments he made was that it spins, stall turns and rolls great snaps would
have been great until half the wing was ripped off as a result of
overstressing.

What this pilot did as the wings tore off was truly impressive. With the
wings completely ripped off from one side of the fuse he had the initiative
to throttle up and fly the model in knife-edge and fly it around to make a
crash landing approach. The end result was a few scratches to the fuse and a
broken prop. This was one of the most impressive things I have seen.

It is a pity I didn't have my video camera with me as it certainly would
have been great to see over and over again.

I was very sceptical about F3A biplanes in Pattern until I saw this model
fly on the weekend. I have no doubt that will be taken seriously at the next
world champs.

Follow this link to view the model prior to it crashing.

http://www.qpfa.org.au/neil/a_couple_of_stories_from_behind_.html

Regards,

Peter

***************************** Disclaimer *****************************

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are
intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or
confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for
which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are
notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing
or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is
strictly prohibited. The privilege of confidentiality attached to
this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by
reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message
in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Thank you.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org