Practicing in Strong Winds

Del Rykert drykert at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 14 00:45:03 AKDT 2003

I have found that a little more speed on final, watch out for the visual illusion going downwind that appears you are flying faster than you really are. Rock your ailerons and if not crisp on the downwind approaching base you are probably to slow. Keep upwind wing lower on approach, and lastly some fields I will not fly at in 25mph wind straight down the runway but others I will fly in up to 35. Reason. Ground clutter upwind of the runway and approach path. Makes for nasty low ground turbulence that can rekit your plane faster than you can mutter OH FUDGE.!!!  Once up is a blast to fly in the wind and I always scored better at contest in the wind as I often practiced when windy. Leave more fuel reserve for missed approaches when you decide to land.

     Del K. Rykert
     AMA - 8928
     NSRCA - 473
     Kb2joi - General