F3A Biplanes have a future!

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Tue May 13 07:32:29 AKDT 2003

Wing mounting on a bi-plane is much more problematic than what we are used to. Do you use plug-on wings, what type of interplane struts, four servos for ailerons or inter-control surface rods? Cabane design is always the toughest problem on a bi-plane. Not to mention the trimming knowledge needed.

The wing failure(s) I heard about were in the wing mounts that had been made light with balsa, and really needed ply. The parameters that we set for plane weight and size bring out the best in the designers. I truly believe that we will soon see competitive bi-planes.

One position I would like to take is that I am very much against changing pattern rules/parameters, (2M and 5Kg and db), just because our more advanced pilots can build and fly bigger or heavier planes. (There are options for those needs in scale aerobatics etc.) In example form, a bi-pane might prove too hard to make light enough with a suitably sized and possibly heavy engine. We should not change the rules to allow a plane to be heavier if it is a bi-plane with a 50cc gas engine that has an in-cowl muffler that runs @ 99db.

Also before you all get carried away, and for those of you with no bi-plane flight experience, you have not lived until you try and land one in a 20mph cross wind... landing and take-off points in AMA classes still count towards the win. In FAI they(we) just have to get it off the ground and roughly back in the same area, with a couple of procedure turns, to get 10 points...

Regards,

Eric.