F3A Biplanes have a future!

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Tue May 13 06:16:29 AKDT 2003

>That makes three (publically known) biplane projects going on right now.
>Just when you think you've got the best.... ;>  Time to spend more money.

Two of which crashed on their first flight due to structural failure
of the wings.

More money is right.

>I'm rather torn on this biplane issue.  Should FAI add a new rule that
>outlaws them?  On one hand, I'm sure they will improve our flights, but on
>the other I don't want them to be advantage over the planes we have now.
>Kind of like changing the 2m size limit to 2.5m.  The guys with the big
>factories behind them will have an advantage, while the rest of us will be
>alienated.  Going to biplanes might be no different than going to 2.5m, only
>it isn't against the rules.  Or, it might be like the switch to 2m planes
>from the .60 planes.  I would hate to go back to a 0.60 after flying a 2m.

Pattern will die before we go back to 0.60 sized airplanes.
Pandora's box was opened a long time ago.

>That said, I want a biplane.  I do expect they will fly better, which is
>certainly a good thing, and someone has to develop them before I get to fly
>it.

When someone can properly define what "flying better" is, then we
have something that can be debated.  Until then this is just
marketing.

Jerry
--
Jerry Budd