OS 140 EFI cut out at full throttle

Steve & Cindy Kessler kessler at kingwoodcable.net
Mon May 12 15:44:35 AKDT 2003

After around 250 flights on my OS 140 EFI, I had to install new SS bearings.  At that time I replaced the OS/Hatori pipe with the ES 140L90 pipe.  This pipe is longer than the OS so I shortened the header around 3" to fit in the Smaragd.  Now the header is only 5" long before it connects to the ES pipe. The ES pipe has more power than the OS pipe.  The only problem is that the engine sometimes cuts out at full throttle.  It dies at full throttle, mostly when coming out the the bottom half loop and accelerating in the pull-push-push humpty'sbump full roll up.  Sometimes it dies in straight and level flight if I accelerate too quickly.  I have recently put RTV on the throttle throat and on the case o-ring area, thinking I had an air leak.  The idle is great.  Could this problem be related on having the ES pipe length too short?  Otherwise for over a year I had no problems with the engine when mated with the OS pipe.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Steve Kessler