Design: Dihedral Recommendation

Ted Sander tedsander at attbi.com
Sat May 10 05:59:13 AKDT 2003

It's flying season, and for all sorts of poor reasons, I'm just now getting
to boring holes for my wing tubes in my scratch built Edge 540.  While not
pure pattern, I hope to get it to come in "pattern legal", so I can use it
as a dual purpose intermediate plane for our few local pattern and IMAC
contests.  Wing is 1 3/4 " below thrust line, stab 1" below.  Standard
straight leading edge (what makes it an "Edge").  Original plan was no
dihedral at all (centerline of tips on same plane as the root).  Now I'm
starting to question myself.  Realizing that there are lots of things that
contribute to roll coupling I haven't included here, anybody have rough
guidelines on a starting place for the dihedral angle to build in, if any?
Plane will have most of the provisions for getting it dialed in - wing/stab
adjusters, even a way for moving stab up or down, if needed.  Dihedral will
have to be built in.  If the rest of the plane proves itself out, I have no
issue fine tuning the design in the future by cutting new wings - but would
like to at least get it sort of close for this first attack.  How much
dihedral does a Focus have, for example?  Any words of wisdom if I should
increase or decrease it due to the effective forward taper of the wing?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org