YS cam bearings

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 07:03:51 AKDT 2003

Has anyone changed the cam bearings on a YS140FZ? How do you get them out? I may need to replace mine but I will not know for sure until I have a chance to inspect the inside of the motor. My Star was totaled last Sunday when I lost all control during the landing approach. (I suspect the power lead pulled out of the receiver). The nose of the plane was buried 18" in very wet clay, I had to use a shovel to get it out. The hole partially filled with water before I was able to extract the engine, so I'm sure some water got inside. I cleaned it and rinsed it out with fresh fuel, followed with synthetic Klotz oil. The wet ground was a mixed blessing, the only physical damage to the engine was a broken throttle arm, the needle valve and extension wire were unscathed. I have since run the engine and it seems ok, but it ate a new OS F plug on the first run. The plug failure may be a fluke, but I'm afraid there may be corrosion inside the motor fouling the plug. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com