Quick building question

David Gundling DGundling at compuserve.com
Thu May 8 15:18:50 AKDT 2003

Message text written by INTERNET:discussion at nsrca.org
>Ok guys.  I did one side (bottom) thinned just a bit, and the other side
(top) with the epoxy strait (it's 30 min) and it spread just fine.  So the
question is this...Should I bother to rip the glass off the bottom side and
redo it, or just live with it?  I kinda figured that the bond we're looking
for here is for side load, so it may not be too big of an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Steve<

Steve,

For what it may be worth to you. I think the fiberglass center strip is for
bending loads not side loads.

While we're at it, has any one else had a wing fail at the center section
joint where the failure was like
 a knife cut through the center joint? On the one I had the wing went from
dihedral to anhedral in flight.
Got it down and the wing was all but cut into two halves. The balsa
sheeting was still bpnded, The
 fiberglass reinforcement was still bonded. Very little damage to either
side of the wing centerline. The
closest thing to it would be two fully sheeted wing halves before joining.
Really wierd. The plane had
 a four bolt hold down for the single piece wing.

Dave
# discussion-request at nsrca.org