Quick building question

patterndude at attbi.com patterndude at attbi.com
Wed May 7 13:40:29 AKDT 2003

Hey epoxy cutters,
This may be obvious, but I've seen some statements that can be misleading.
When anything is added to epoxy, it either evaporates out or stays in the
mix.  When you add alcohol or acetone to epoxy the mixture will be thinner,
but these solvents will severely weaken the epoxy.  When we paint it on balsa
(as in glassing wings) the solvent evaporates off, but if you use thinned
epoxy on other applications (where the epoxy is inside a joint) the solvent
molecules will be bound into the epoxy matrix and the result will be weaker
epoxy.

You can prove this by leaving the epoxy/alcohol mix 1/4 inch deep in your
epoxy mixing cup.  When you come back the next day, it will be cured,but
rubbery.

The best way to get thin epoxy is to start with a thin epoxy.  Don't start
with thick epoxy, unless you don't care about strength.

--Lance

# discussion-request at nsrca.org