3M Mintor 170 questions

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon May 5 12:05:31 AKDT 2003

Sorry for the incomplete response, before.
Most 2-C setups require a lengthening of the pipe to cure the midrange richness or bog, and to eliminate the power versus throttle position hysteresis that can plague any piped 2-C.

The problem was that if you pushed to level from warmed-up WOT vertical and reduce to 1/2 throttle the engine may stay "on the pipe" and you get a different power setting than if you came from idle to the same stick position. Or (and this is a goodie) you may end up with a level flight cruise setting that changes with what thermal/load condition the engine was in a few seconds ago, or a lagged settling time at 1/2 throttle. How about rounding the top of the square loop, pulling the throttle back, getting a good setting, then 1/2 way across the top of the loop, the engine falls completely off the pipe, and gets soft.

The long pipes fixed that set of problems, and caused the airspeed dependant mixture problem. O.S. fixed it with a box that looked at RPM versus throttle position, and corrected the mid-range mixture to get rid of the hysteresis. One other way to fix ( or at least help ) this would be controlled spark timing; the other is to make the engine equilibrate thermally much more quickly. As you know, temp is ignition timing in a glow engine.

Dean