3M Mintor 170 questions

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 2 07:30:34 AKDT 2003

Mike, your my hero. I am looking forward to seeing that baby on your Oly at the end of the month at the annual Cursed Earth pattern competition (AKA Dayton).

mdarr00 at comcast.net wrote:    I talked with Michael Rudinsky from Boca Bearing while in Toledo.  He did measure the bearings in my 3M 170 engine.  The frt. bearing is the same as the frt. bearing for the O.S. 140 RX.  Michael told me the rear bearing is a standard size, but they do not stock it.  Michael told me that he would order some and call me when they came in.  I have not heard from him yet.  I will call him tomorrow and let the discussion page know what he came up with.  In Toledo he also told me he would be able to offer the bearing in the ceramic version for those that are interested.     On the installation of the 3M 170 engine question.  I installed my engine on a Hyde ARI (A) mount for an O.S. 140 RX.  It was a direct bolt in deal.  The exhaust clears the mount with now problem.  The 3M engines use an o-ring manifold that the header attaches to, just like the O.S.  You can use an O.S., Harori, or 3M header on the 3M manifold, and will all clear the Hyde mount.  The only difference between the 170 and the O.S. 140 dimensionally, is the 170s cylinder is slightly taller and larger in diameter, otherwise it is all the same i.e. exhaust location, throttle hook up, and fuel line hook up.  The needle valve is slightly higher on the O.S. than the 170, but on the 170 you can change the mounting angle of the needle valve if needed to line up with an existing hole in your fuse if swapping from a O.S. 140. Hope this answers your question, Mike Darr    ----- Original Message ----- From: Bob Kane To: discussion at nsrca.org Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 3:30 PMSubject: Re: 3M Mintor 170 questions
I can offer an answer for #1 only . . . .. . . Mike Darr had his 3M 170 at the Toledo show, the Boca person at the show measured the bearings so they could offer replacements. I would call Boca to see if they are available or when they may be available.

GW <gw at gwair.com> wrote:For those in the know regarding the 3M 170::  1: I notice the rear bearing is a double back ball bearing, I do not know what this truly means, but will Boca or the US based 3M retailers  have the replacement bearings available? Any other substitutes? Don't want to be needing a bearing in the middle of the season and be waiting for a bearing from Italy! 2. Same question as above but regarding rings? Do the retailers like BuyRC, PlanesPlus, AeroSlave, etc, have replacements in stock, or plans to?  Again, I do not want to be without use of an engine waiting on a ring or bearing from Italy! 3. Will the 170 be a drop in replacement for the OS 140? I have heard the bolt patterns are the same, but what about the position of the nose ring, exhaust,etc? Completely interchangeable with no refitting needed?  Many Thanks GW  cc: Don Kanak, Lance at Areoslave

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com