Smaragd

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sun Mar 30 17:33:56 AKST 2003

I know what you meant Verne I was just jerking you around a bit havin' a little fun....The counter Balance is about 1.25" shorter, the top of the rudder is a little wider (3/8") and the bottom of the rudder is a little narrower say 1/4"....If you received a kit in 2002 I or late 2001 I would bet its a "Z" version.

The difference is almost not noticeable in the air. The main difference is about 4-5% less roll mix on the large rudder deflections....Also the bigger counter balance at high speeds will tend to wiggle a little on knife..."control Snatch". the smaller counter balance is less noticeable in the wiggle and has less mixing for roll when doing high rudder throws like 30+ digs for the 1/2 knife edge loops thingy in the "F-03" pattern.

In all honesty you are flying Masters there is not maneuver in your sequence where you would see, feel or know the difference...In the F3A sequences the 1 roll loops, 1 roll circles and knife edge loop segments are showing the mix...The non Z rudder will still fly better than 99% of the people moving the sticks....Maybe at the worlds in the finals Roland and Quique can feel the difference. I can tell the difference...but it's not affecting my level of precision on those maneuvers. I still have work ahead of me on those maneuvers...and that work is not a plane thing its a thumbs and fingers thing.

TN