"Miracle switch" failures

Gene Maurice gene.maurice at attbi.com
Thu Mar 27 11:22:43 AKST 2003

The problem with redundant batteries is that unless you put something
between the two circuits to isolate them, it is possible for one of the
batteries to go bad (shorted cell) and actually drain the other battery.

There are battery backup systems available. I believe this is what they do,
a backup battery is isolated from the main source. If the main source goes
below some point, it is switched off and the backup is then switched on. So,
in this case, the backup is never actually being used until there is a
failure in the main battery. There in lies the problem, the backup is never
being exercised. Unless you cycle it periodically you won't know it's going
south until it's to late.

Plus, you just put something else in the system that can fail! K.I.S.S.

Gene Maurice
gene.maurice at attbi.com
Plano, TX
AMA 3408