question regarding header & tuned pipe

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Tue Mar 25 06:52:22 AKST 2003

Every change in backpressure, due to the expansion chamber or header
change will cause a wave reflection, however, the effects of necking down
from 7/8 to the approx 3/4" OS pipe will not be much.  The bigger problem
is that if the pipe is composite (CF) you will ablate the pipe input and
ruin the pipe.  I've seen 3 of these for repair.  The hot exhaust gasses
can not be allowed to contact the end of the fibers and resin for most
resins.  ES pipes fail in this fashion.  Some people have been successful
in using a squishy coupler (like the Macs grey) but this is not a reliable
setup for most people.

The Mintor carbon fiber pipe (I have a N.I B. one for sale for $160
including shipping) uses an aluminum inlet to prevent this.  I also have a
Macs to OS adapter made from aluminum for $12.

-Lance

"Ihncheol Park" <PatternFlyer at msn.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
03/24/2003 09:03 PM