Swallow test flights

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Mon Mar 24 14:40:24 AKST 2003

Ref CG. It is as per the instructions. I believe it was just short of 5" back from the LE. Thought it would be nose heavy but it carries a tad of down trim after twelve flights.

Dodged a BIG bullet yesterday. Two thirds into a this is what a pattern-plane flies like" demo flight at another field, on the way home, the controls did not respond when more than one control was activated. Made the last 3 points of an eight point a little exciting. It was just like Frank Granelli's experience with NiMH's. Knowing that it was most likely a low battery (5-cells - in-flight battery warning had not activated, I headed for the landing area, downwind approach - no time to play with. I refrained from pulling back the idle trim in case it stalled the throttle servo and took away the last few volts...

By moving one control at a time the plane was landed with some sluggish flair. We grabbed the plane and then I killed the engine. All the controls were waving gently as they competed, loaded by gravity, for the remaining power in the battery pack. Phew! or perhaps some more sacrilegious exclamations were expended.

Back the workshop I found out that the idiot who wired up the on board charging jack had reversed the polarity. By field-charging the pack on the journey between flying-fields I had DIS-charged the battery. The same IDIOT who wired the charging jack, rewired it correctly and then I (the idiot) recharged the battery. Tonight's flying was a replay of Sat and the plane flew great - minus the annoying eggshell wheelpants.

Thank god for NiMH behavior that gave me a chance to get the plane down - The guys at the club tell me that every flight I now get out of this pane is a FREE one!

Regards,

Eric.