Focus Canopy Painting

GeorgeF. av8tor at flash.net
Fri Mar 21 05:30:51 AKST 2003

>Trust me, if you paint it black and set it out in the sun it will get HOT,
>some plastics may handle it better than others, but it will get hot, I'll
>bet so hot you can't touch it.  I've done it and got away with it, but
>I've also seen them melt/deform so be careful.  The shame of it is that I
>like the looks of a black canopy, both on the ground and in the air, but
>having seen a couple deform I've decided against black.  Ya' paints yer'
>canopy and ya' takes yer' chances.

Not sure what the thickness of the plastics used were or if they were being
painted on the inside or outside but mine did NOT get hot to the touch.

Mine were painted on the inside, possibly the fact the sun rays need to go
through the plastic before hitting the black may deflect the rays causing
them to hit at an angle other than 90 degrees.  This deflection will reduce
heat build up.  But I've done about 12 or so planes that way, they've set
in full sunlight on 90 degree days and have yet to have one deform in
anyway....

George

# discussion-request at nsrca.org