Focus Canopy Painting

WHIP23 at aol.com WHIP23 at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 12:27:59 AKST 2003

In a message dated 3/20/03 9:34:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, av8tor at flash.net
writes:

> I've painted the inside of canopies pure black (not tinted) and never had
> one melt or deform in anyway.  I use to take black Sig Dope and brush the
> inside of the canopy.  From the outside of the canopy it shines as if it
> were molded black and brush marks wouldn't show as the outside clear
> plastic acted as a clearcoat without the mess....

Trust me, if you paint it black and set it out in the sun it will get HOT,
some plastics may handle it better than others, but it will get hot, I'll bet
so hot you can't touch it.  I've done it and got away with it, but I've also
seen them melt/deform so be careful.  The shame of it is that I like the
looks of a black canopy, both on the ground and in the air, but having seen a
couple deform I've decided against black.  Ya' paints yer' canopy and ya'
takes yer' chances.

Bob