Color Schemes, the good the bad and the visible

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Wed Mar 5 14:56:19 AKST 2003

Here's a contrary opinion to the thread on high visibility:

There is a top FAI pilot here in Texas named Paul Villarubia (hope he
doesn't mind).  A few years ago the season started before he could get on
his color coats.  He flew all season with an all white plane.  Paul is a
winner or top finisher in almost all outings.  I was in Sportsman at the
time and asked him how he could see the plane's attitude.  He said, "It's
not a problem, I'm flying the plane, I know what it's doing".
This was astounding to me since at that time I was totally dependent on my
eyes to see what the plane was doing and make constant corrections.
However, it's valuable to build skills to fly without depending on that
tight eye-finger feedback loop.  My current Aries always gets comments
about the color scheme, and I admit it is not that visible.  However, I've
learned to fly with less dependence on 110% visual dependence.  This is an
important skill when flying the first round at 10:00am in a contest (with
the Sun in your eyes) and also is useful on flat light days.
  I'm no where near Paul's level on this, but flying without total visual
dependence is a good thing.  High visibility color schemes are fine, but
you might want to try to fly a poorly colored plane on a bad day just to
exercise your mind.

Recently (at last year's Jetero contest) Paul was still flying practice
rounds when all of us had packed up because it was too dark.  I couldn't
believe he was still flying when the last of us left him for the local
beer hall.  As we were leaving I noticed him taking off again.  simply
amazing.

--Lance