Color Schemes, the good the bad and the visible

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Wed Mar 5 05:09:57 AKST 2003

Think about grey scale more than anything.  Most of the time we're flying at distances and lighting conditions that make ALL the colors go to there relative grey scale.  Obviously White is white and Black is black...but both Blue and Red go to black at distance.  So while they may seem high contrast to each other on the ground...they become one color at distance.

Yellow and Pink on the other hand...tend to be a more neutral grey...thus Black, white and Yellow (or Pink) will provide three distinct shades all the time.  Other combinations will do the same...

Once you have 3 colors that provide a light/dark/neutral grey scale...you have a lot more options for adding visibility in the air.

I personally like my leading edge to be dark...there seem to be more instances of light conditions where the dark leading edge stands out more than a light one.  Neutal here (leading edge) seems to be the worst.

I also like to separate the wing tips in some fashion...

If you like, offline, I can send you a pic or two of my scheme...I'm fairly color blind...so aesthetics were not part of the equation (although I like the way it looks...)

Mark