Scat/IMAC

Ed Deaver Divesplat1 at msn.com
Tue Jun 24 12:20:40 AKDT 2003

Having started in Pattern and doing the full fledged IMAC thing here in TX, these are my thoughts on this.
1)  ARF's are here to stay, but they are on both fronts now, for those that want them.
2)  Trailer, and 2 37% Extras, in my mind to be competitive, $20000, current transport and 2 pattern planes, $5000.  This is an easy choice for me.
3)  Size of the box, caused by size of the planes and sequence in IMAC has eliminated in Tx 3 IMAC contests and with it, one very good pattern contest.  Doing rolling circles over someones house 1/2 mile away do not encourage neighborhood support.
4)  The number of IMAC contests in Tx is way down, the number of Pattern contests is on the rise.

Please don't misunderstand.  I am not trying to pit one vs the other.  Only to say there is room for both, and I like it that way.  I disagree with the size issue as I know of a number of pilots opting for the pattern venue now, that were dedicated IMAC pilots.  Even with the ARF's a 35% IMAC plane is going to cost more than a competitive Pattern plane.  Transportation to the field is still an issue, involving more cost.
Also interesting to watch the top IMAC pilots that strive to fly their plane the same way a top Pattern dude does his.
Personally believe IMAC will bring more pilots to Pattern once they see the above.  Contrary to popular belief, in my experiences at a  contest, something goes wrong, 10 pattern pilots jump up to help, in IMAC only one jumps up to help.  This is my experience.  Of course the current press is contrary to my experiences.

Ed