Patter coverage and promotion. - Take the challenge

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Tue Jun 24 10:07:52 AKDT 2003

Those are very good points Eric. In the business world companies don't just sit around waiting for the press to come do stories on them, they have PR departments whose mission statement is to get the company noticed. Does the NSRCA have a sub-committee or officer that is dedicated to PR? If not that would be something to consider.

And speaking of drawing more participation to pattern, Jim Oddino was right on the money last week regarding ARFs. Has no-one noticed the recent explosion in the RC hobby? What is this attributed to? Could it be that everyone is suddenly bored with the Internet? No! ARFs are driving this because they open the door for the masses to fly RC planes without the time commitment or skills needed to build a model!! If pattern is going to grow dramatically we MUST have plenty of affordable ARFs because we will never have a huge run on builders that suddenly become interested in pattern (all those guys migrate toward scale). Why do you think you see so many Focus pattern planes around? Cheap and easy. And by the way, did any of the top three guys from the team trials physically built their own plane?

When I go to the flying field with my gorgeous new Aries (that took me 8 months to build), I always have people come up and admire the plane and ask questions. Quite often they'll make statements like "I'd really like to try pattern, but it I don't have enough ______". Usually that blank is filled in with "time to build" or "money". Are they just blowing smoke? Some may be, but those who are serious can easily be turned off if I tell them they can have a nice plane just like mine and it only took me eight months to build it.

Does this mean that everyone should stop building? Of course not, but if every guy that played football had to sew his own uniform and pads together and mold his own helmet there would definitely be a lot fewer football players.

What's the solution to promoting ANY product or activity?
1. Good PR to get the word out and make the product appealing.
2. Low barrier of entry.

This is true for everything from AOL, to buying a car with no interest and nothing down, to picking up that new Sport Flier ARF. And yes, it also applies to Pattern.

Keith Black