Team Trials

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 12:25:10 AKDT 2003

Hi Ron,
It seems to me that IMAC/SCAT pilots have the same objectives as Pattern pilots.  They like nice looking planes that fly aerobatics well.
I feel the rules, namely weight and noise limit the choices in pattern.  There are many kits and ARFs with gas engines that meet the 2 meter rule but can't meet the weight and noise requirements.
Without a doubt someone would build a scratch built plane that would outperform the best plane on the market now but at least people could go out and have fun at a pattern contest with a reasonable investment of time and money and still have fun with a commercially available plane that didn't require a master builder with deep pockets.  I paid $2000 for a bare airframe a few years ago when I needed a pattern plane real bad.  Not many are willing to do that.  My ARF cost me $400 and I'm having just as much fun flying it.  It is just an idea that might bring more people out to pattern contests.
I should probably point out that only two of the 40 that flew this weekend were small airplanes so I don't know if any of those guys would want to go back to 2 meter planes. But there is a niche it would seem for people who don't want to fly the big stuff.  Dick Hansen has suggested classes by size and I like that idea.  What do you think?
Jim