Engine Bearing Air Scoops

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Jun 22 15:02:07 AKDT 2003

I know we're supposed to be flying, but I'm still motor-less...but getting
there...
    A question for anyone who knows....what is the procedure for installing
scoops/baffles on the cowling to cool the main bearing?
    Is there experience to justify putting them on the OS/Mintor/Webra larger
two strokes?
    Any websites with "how to" info?
    Do baffles/scoops lengthen bearing life and reduce heat???

I am using "Nostrils" on Alliance's nose (top of fuse) to help with cooling
airflow directly at the crankcase bottom. I also use a header scoop originally
intended for the YS 140 header, to good advantage for the Webra's pipe. It's a
fully enclosed belly set-up therefore it needs the airflow.

These are simple glass/balsa additions carved to fit the fuse top and belly
pan side. The entry areas are approximately 4 sq cm each nostril, and about 6
sq cm  for the header scoop. Main air cooling comes from the front pan opening,
which completely covers  the cylinder.

Note that the cowl is fairly close fitting around the engine so additional
internal baffles for air redirection are not used and are not needed in my
plane. But some have reported adding redirectors inside the large cowlings of
models like Smaragd or Partner to get adequate cooling.

As far as longer life out of the bearings, the Webra is still going after 220
flights and bearing still smooth. We'll see how long bearing lasts

matt Kebabjian