Team Trials

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 17:03:09 AKDT 2003

Hi Dean,
You triggered me with that, "aim it at the ARFer...".  I'm not sure how to
react now that I am an ARFer.  Even worse I'm an ARFer with gas engines.  I
can tell you a couple of things, I am more enthused now than I have been for
a long time.  I'm even going to a SCAT contest this weekend.  I heard they
have 40 pre-registered.  I see a trend that allows many folks to become top
rate pilots at a relatively low cost of time and money.  In fact it is so
low an investment ($400 for the plane and $550 for the engine) I am
comfortable flying it at Sepulveda Basin.  The DA50 is great.  No messing
with the needles after you find the settings, no fooling with tuned pipes,
headers, bearings, glow plugs and drivers, starters, etc.  No worrying about
weight or noise.  All you do is charge the batteries and fill the tank and
fly.  And the plane is easy to fly with its excess thrust and higher drag.
I'm so happy I took the next step and bought a Composite-ARF 2.6M Extra and
a DA100.  You couldn't come close to building a nicer airframe for $1240,
it's even painted in the mold.  I've always wanted a perfectly straight
airframe and this is as close as I will ever have.
I'd be inclined to somehow embrace the ARFs and ARFers because they are here
to stay.  You will have a difficult time to get people to put in the effort
to compete in pattern unless they can buy an ARF and look good flying it in
very little time.
Maybe I'm just getting lazy or realize I don't have that much time left but
I don't see me ever building another pattern plane unless it is an ARF.
My thought of the day.
Jim