Team Trials

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Tue Jun 17 08:30:18 AKDT 2003

Dean Pappas wrote

>Tony, when you said that, "AMA didn't even think it important enough to cover in Model Aviation...", something inside me twinged. So I called dear friend Bob Hunt(the editor at MA) and asked him if there was to be even cursory coverage. Realize that the man I'm talking to is a World Champion in Control-Line Aerobatics, and still a competitor ... His voice saddened and he told me that the policy at MA is that no team trials are covered, lest they all have to be covered. Every time something about competition is covered, droves of readers write in to complain. After every December issue (the NATs coverage issue) they are barraged with complaints about the the waste of magazine space. World championships might get coverage, if they happen in the U.S.! The mediocre have censored coverage of excellence. Don't hassle Bob, he is one of us!

Ah yes, we can't have anyone's self esteem damaged by having them
realize that someone is better than they are.  Many schools have stopped
giving grades and the top students are no longer recognized, because of
the same issue.  Johnny can't read, but many employers can't tell him
that and, if they won't hire him, are accused of bias.  It's a sad
commentary on our times.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org