US Team Selection Finals Flight Reports!

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Mon Jun 16 10:14:28 AKDT 2003

Don Ramsey wrote:

> I agree with Tony.  The top wing will at first make the model appear
> to have the outboard wing down on inverted exits.  A judge is not
> accoustomed to seeing all the wing on a mono plane so the bipe appears
> outboard wing low.  Just a couple of inverted exit and you adjust.

I was also one of the judges and was initially concerned how the big
biplane would present.  It does look strange in some attitudes;
sometimes you see a wing when you're not used to seeing one.   However,
the strangeness passes fast and then you realize that the airplanes
rolls very well and does outstanding stall turns.  I did see some
'nibbling' of wing bank angle when turbulence hits it.  Chip's airplane
did fly smoother than Kenny Lauter's, but that was probably the pilot.

Ron Van Putte